Application for Student Teaching
Applications for student teaching must be completed in the semester PRIOR to student teaching. Applications to student teach in Fall are due March 15 and to student teach in Spring are due October 15. The application process must be completed well in advance. It is wise for potential student teachers to begin the application process early to allow for technical difficulties.
To be completed prior to submitting a student teaching application
- Admitted to teacher education
- Professional education courses (13-18 hours, must earn B- or above for each class)
- Major courses (44-48 hours, must earn B- or above for each class)
- Pass College of Education and Human Services Writing Exam
- Speech and hearing test
- Current background check
- Successfully complete the appropriate PRAXIS exam
- Apply for a student teaching license utah.gov/teachers from the Utah State Board of Education. Click on “Student Licenses”.
As part of the application you will be asked to upload the following documents. Make sure each document is labeled with your name and document type (i.e. First Name Last Name Personal Data Sheet)
- Personal Data Sheet - This information is given to your cooperating teacher, principal & supervisor. Complete the Personal Data Sheet here (insert link to data sheet)
- Current USU transcript - Either an official or un-official transcript is acceptable. Visit ACCESS to get a copy of your un-official transcript for free.
- Submit proof of the professional development requirement - i.e., proof of CEC membership, proof of ACRES membership, service with Special Olympics, etc.
- Student Teaching License - Submit a copy of your student teaching license. See above directions on how to apply for student teaching license.
- Ethics Exam Review- Submit proof of passing exam.
- Autobiography- Submit a 1-page document describing yourself. This information will be given to your cooperating teacher, principal, and supervisor. Suggestions for information to include are your hobbies and interests, your experience with special education and why you chose to be a special education teacher.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the student teaching coordinator Julia Lyman at 435-797-7205 or firstname.lastname@example.org