How to Apply for Student Teaching
Applications for student teaching must be completed in the semester PRIOR to student teaching. Applications to student teach in Fall are due March 1, and to student teach in Spring are due October 1. The application process must be completed well in advance. It is wise for potential student teachers to begin the application process early to allow for technical difficulties.
To be completed prior to submitting a student teaching application
- Admitted to teacher education
- Professional education courses (13-18 hours, must earn B- or above for each class)
- Major courses (44-48 hours, must earn B- or above for each class)
- Current background check
- Successfully complete the appropriate PRAXIS exam
You will be required to submit the following documentation with your student teaching application:
- Resume - You can find resources and examples of professional resumes on the USU Career Services webpage. You will submit your resume to your mentor teacher and principal once you have been placed for student teaching, so please use this as an opportunity to showcase your professionalism and experience.
- PRAXIS Scores- submit a copy of ALL pages of your praxis scores. Submit your completed application to email@example.com.
- Out of Area Requests- if you are interested in applying to student teach out of cache valley, please complete the Out of Area Request application.
If you have any questions about the application process, please contact the student teaching coordinator Julia Lyman at 435-797-7205 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Criminal Background Check
It is your responsibility to inform the Department of Special Education if you have been arrested or convicted of violating any law except minor traffic violations while you are a student in the program. Failure to disclose this information may affect your current status in the Special Education Teacher Program.